Monday, April 1, 2013

From Chapter 19

“So . . . what do we do?” asked Heather. 

Uncle Kevin hesitated as if unsure of what to say or reluctant to say it. 

“Look, Heather,” he ventured finally; “I’m here to save you.  I don’t think that I can carry your friend any further, especially if it means not getting you out of here safely.” 

Heather was silent a moment but then placed her hand as gently as she could on her uncle’s. 

“I am so glad that you came to help me, Uncle Kevin.  I feel that you are an answer to prayers.  But I’m not the one who needs saved.  Jillian is.”  She paused and then said, “And I think that maybe you are, too.” 

“Heather, I don’t know what you’re getting at,” he said heatedly, “but I promised your mom that I would get you out of here and bring you home safely.” 

“And I am so glad you did,” she answered.  “But what I’m trying to tell you is that Gage can’t really hurt me . . . not what’s really me anyway.” 

“I don’t understand.” 

“I belong to Jesus,” she explained.  “Gage can’t hurt the part of me that lasts forever . . . my soul.   He can’t even touch me himself because the Lord has made me His own.  He can maybe get one of his flunkies to hurt my body, but my soul belongs to God.  But Jillian isn’t safe.  She’s been lied to by Gage, and she did some bad things.  She’s let him do something to her to try to ruin her and make her like he is . . . but it isn’t working out the way that he hoped.  She’s not his yet.  I think that she can still be saved.” 

“I’m sorry for her, Heather,” he answered. “But my commitment is to you and your mom.  I’m getting you out of here.” 

“Uncle Kevin,” she persisted.  “I will give my life for her.  Please help me to help her.  Maybe we can both carry her.”  Her uncle was quiet, but then she heard him sigh heavily. 

“I’ll just carry her,” he said.  “It’s hard enough to move through the trees without the two of us trying to . . . .”
 

Crimson Harvest is available at Amazon, Barnes-and-Noble, and other book sellers!

 

 
Available also as an e-book!


No comments:

Post a Comment